Wednesday, January 16, 2013

1/16 Mario Karta in Jakarta (Java/Indonesia)



When I vacation, I vacation... and to me and Jason Aldean, the world is WIDE OPEN (except Cuba, pretty sure I'm not allowed to go there). So, while in Hong Kong, I decided to use some of the miles I've racked up to visit a new place and picked Indonesia!! Why? Because I know nothing about it and have no impressions about it (relative to Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Taiwan, etc).. and honestly, the thought of visiting Indonesia scared me. Just not enough for "maybe next time" or "someday..." ;)

I flew 5 hours on Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong into Jakarta. It was a wonderful flight, lots of great entertainment and I didn't even want or try to sleep. Once I arrived, it was time to head to my hostel/backpackers.... I chose introduction to Jakarta/Indonesia by bus - a nice coach-style, air-conditioned, inexpensive and very comfortable bus.

But first the bus would circle the airport for half an hour.... round and round again we went...



 HK Disneyland!! I will see you later!!

I've got a ticket to ride...

 Feeling rich!! 
Note (get it?): $1 = 10,000 Rupiah


Circling around the airport

Mario-kart style! Everyone for his/herself
(Sirena I would not recommend Jakarta for you..... )





When the bus got to its last stop, I knew something was amiss. Where/when did we pass my stop, Gambir? Well the good news is that we didn't pass my stop. The bad news is it's because I had taken the wrong friggin bus... what should have been a 40 minute trip turned into a 4 hour ride. But it's OK, my hostel later told me the record was 4.5 hours :O

 My second ticket to ride.. (back toward the airport)

 Overpassing

My third ticket to ride... me not smiling anymore at this point


 Bathing in the street

 Mosques galore. Java is mainly Muslim



One of my first stops when traveling is always a grocery store. You always find cool things!



 um no thanks. my undergraduate days are over!


 mini cup of noodles! for little kids and Leslie

Bags of fat (cooking oil)? yes please!


I finally reached my hostel "Six Degrees" and went straight for the rooftop. It was hot and smoggy but I was happy.





 The clothes I packed! Much less than what I needed in Harbin!!



 Art in the hostel


 
 Cinema room - I am an observant-type traveler who likes to watch things, so yes! I watched 4 movies on my second day in Jakarta 

Free tea and coffee; other drinks paid via honor system


It was a great stay and I highly recommend this hostel if you are in the Jakarta area. The cost was 120,000 rupiah ($12) per night for a bed in a 4-bed co-ed dorm. The owners are 2 couples, and they are fabulous. We spent the first night having a girls' night out on the rooftop, drinking and laughing our hearts out, knowing we would probably never see each other again. After midnight us girls went to sleep and the boys took over and danced in the rain until 3am.

There is a lot to see and do in Jakarta but my heart is just set on heading east...


No comments:

Post a Comment