Thursday, January 10, 2013

1/10 Headlong into Hong Kong

Greetings from Hong Kong!!  

A place that has always been in my blood now also surrounds me. As I write to you from my uncle's home in Shueng Wan, Hong Kong is definitely circulating within and without me.  I am staying on Hollywood Road - it's funny to have come so far to live on a road that reminds me of California. But here it is actually referred to as Antiques Street - where stores and vendors market Eastern antiquity rather than new Western productions.

What better place to observe both Gregorian and Chinese New Year holidays than in a place where the ancient cleaves (to) novelty and East (to) West... ;)

First things first! Let's attend a Chinese opera! I wish I could have understood the lyrics. As a child I would pretend to be a beautiful Chinese opera singer like this one:



But HK was not the only thing circulating in my blood that night

Bar scene in Lan Kwai Fong. 
LKF is a popular expatriate haunt in HK for drinking, clubbing and dining. The first restaurant opened here in 1983 and was called  "California." [Wikipedia] Go figure.

 



Memento of the year the British handed HK to China

Crowd Control.
In 1993, 21 people were killed and 48 injured in a large-scale human stampede whilst celebrating New Year's in Lan Kwai Fong [Wikipedia]


Post New-Years, I continued to explore HK... 

In Hong Kong, you can dress a bride, redo a house and amuse a child one street at a time. The South China practice of grouping similar businesses on one street means you can do much more: goldfish, birds, clothes, electronics and shoes – if it’s worth shopping, it has a street. [Discover Hong Kong]

 

A typical Mass Transit Railway (MTR) station.  You can pay via Octopus Card, a rechargeable contactless smart card developed by an Australian-based company. It is the most widely used electronic cash system for transactions in Hong Kong, accepted by many retailers (including supermarkets and fast food outlets). [Wikipedia]













 Yummm...

 Times Square in Causeway Bay

Hong Kong-style milk tea came from British practice of afternoon tea, where black tea is served with milk and sugar. Milk tea is similar, except with it is served with evaporated or condensed milk. It is called "milk tea" to distinguish it from "Chinese tea." [Wikipedia]

It am not allowed to order Macaroni Soup back at home because it is "so easy to make." But I am not at home... hee hee
The Hong Kong Brands and Products Expo - the largest outdoor expo in the city.


Victoria Park in Causeway Bay
Le Petit Prince

 View of NE Hong Kong Island from Tai Tam Country Park

 

 Tai Tam Reservoir

 Why do birds suddenly appear...

 


 


View from Azure, 30th floor of Hotel LKF


 HK island at night

The best thing about HK so far? Being with family I rarely get to see :) 


 My Goo Jeh (aunt) at the office

 My Sook (uncle) at the office

 Me at the office


 Yes, we are definitely family
My MaMa (paternal grandmother) cooking

 YeYe (paternal grandfather) about to drink me under the table again

  Homemade potstickers!!

Things I have learned so far: 
  • Carry tissues everywhere you go
  • When using a squat toilet, be careful not to let anything splash into your eye
  • A bus is not a tram
  • It is better to alight sooner rather than later if you do not know exactly when to get off the bus
  •  "Lei lo mei ah!"
  • Seats to a movie in a cinema are assigned
  • There are a lot of golden retrievers in HK that look like Penny (but less pretty)
  • There are no social security benefits for the elderly
  • There are multiple ways to play "BINGO"
  • Some children learn archery in primary school
  • 1 USD ~ 8 HKD
  • Sunglasses are not that popular here
  • Chinese cartoons are funny  
  • My Chinese is incredibly limited
I would like to thank my Sook and Goo Jeh for their hospitality... I am so lucky to be spending time and living with you!

ADDENDUM!! More photos from HK:



I like to take pictures of people taking pictures of food 
 
 Stanley Beach
 

 



 Where I stood in the nude :D

 Like the old days... almost..








 Trash :(

 Frutips Popsicle! Wasnt very good though 
 
 Taking a break...

 my OIC... breaking and entering? :O

 
 skipping stones!
 
 Fishing..

 
 Biking through Plover Cove
 

 
Fresh strawberries!

 and new puppies!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
 
Time to eat

 om nom nommmm

 Protecting the babies.. they smelled soo good!!


  

1 comment:

  1. This was so fun to read! I'm sitting in a cafe and I keep bursting into fits of giggles. Wish I was there with you!! You forgot "always mind the gap between the train and the platform" <3

    ReplyDelete