Thursday, January 31, 2013

1/31 Giddy in the Gilis (Lombok/Indonesia)

Each place we visit seems better than the last.... And the Gili Islands did not disappoint. We were GIDDY. To this date, my journey through Indonesia has been the most romantic non-romantic trip I've ever had...  It's safe to say I have fallen for Indonesia. My original plan to depart on Feb. 1 has been scrapped!

Hello Gili Trawangan!

We stayed at Midnight cottages, it was a cute budget spot (125,000 RPH / $12.50 total per night) near local villages, and had a great breakfast!



Cars and motorbikes are not allowed on the Gili Islands (NE Lombok). Instead, horse carriages, bicycles, flip flops and cats rule the dirt roads. I loved this about the Gilis.

Gili T is known as party central, and it was truly another world completely...

Police do not regularly patrol the islands here, so you can find things here that you may not find in other Indonesian areas ;)




 How parking lots should be




 It costs anywhere from 110,000-170,000 RPH ($11-$17) for a 60-minute massage. On Gili T I indulged in a 60-minute massage and 60-minute sunburn treatment (Aloe rub-down). Clement also got his first massage in the Gilis :)


 Many resorts and sea-side pools...


But I always go for the real thing!  
Even if I am sans swimsuit ;)



 Diving opportunities galore!

 A bar to celebrate



 mm hmm



Monkey see, monkey do






 If you have to sit at a desk, put it in some sand!

 Dead skin buffet

 Sea turtle rehab



  

Tsk tsk.. always playing with dirty street cats.... 
oh wait, that's me

 Snorkeling the 3 Gilis via glass bottom boat
(Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, Gili Air) 

 How can you beat lounging on the beach, waving at waves...


 
Hm.. maybe laying on the beach winking at stars ;)

I love you Gilis, but "work" beckons... It was so nice to meet you!!! <3

1 comment:

  1. What company did you use for the glass bottom boat and did you book it ahead of time??

    ReplyDelete