Saturday, December 22, 2012

12/22: Beijingle Bells (China)

Welcome to my Asia Liana blog!! I'm happy to be reporting again after a 2 year hiatus!!! Since New Zealand (www.nzliana.blogspot.com), I have been working for my dad's company in South San Francisco, CA, USA. My travels have been limited, but I have not stopped exploring. After learning a lot and earning a little, I've decided to retrace some old footsteps and make new ones on my path. Now here I am, in Asia. 

It started with plans for a family Christmas vacation to Harbin, China, which is known for its winter festivals and ice carvings (or cravings, per dad). When I asked "Harbin-doh?" I learned it is at the head of the old chicken outline that is China. AKA Manchuria. But first we would need to fly to Beijing... (pronounced "BUHK-ING" in Cantonese) in the middle of winter. Boy was it "BUHK-ING" cold.

 We were all assigned to sit separately but managed to fandango our way into sitting together!

Makeshift solitary confinement for some R&R on this 12.5 hour flight (SFO>PEK)

Once we arrived, it was HELLOs with our family!! And in the true welcoming spirit we were treated to Beijing wine and fatty pork. My grandpa drank us all under the table..



 Could we have fries with that please?

 Too much meat in my bowl of fat

 Sunworld Dynasty Hotel



 Sunrise at Tiananmen Square


My brother-in-law and sister

 How many Chinamen does it take...


The only way you can stay 21 forever














 We missed the flag raising ceremony even though we were awake at 4am!


 Recommended for all husbands ;)







 Fishing? NO they are kiting!! Guess a bad day of kiting beats a good day of anythin' else


 So much more appealing abroad


 mew mew ah
 jet lag!!

 more wine



 traditional hot pot in Beijing (copper pot)

 oopsie

 hmmm source of haw flakes!!

 Famous Peking duck!!
 At the Pearl Market

 Sunrise at Temple of Heaven! It was glorious



 Chinese hackeysack!

 Travel buddies!!



Noodle making!!

But it's always the case that some things just follow you no matter where you go...







No comments:

Post a Comment